2018 Playwrights and Artists Festival
Nov. 16 & 23 – FRAGILE by Wendy Biller; STALKING by Marj O’Neill-Butler. Inspired by artist Megan Proutley’s work, ‘Rumors’.
Nov. 17 & 25 – ROCKS ON THE PLAYA by Tom Cavanaugh; EARTH LIKE A CROWN UPON YOUR HEAD by Drew Michele Billman. Inspired by artist Jessica Fridrich.
Nov. 18 & 24 – OUT OF THE RUBBLE by John Shea; A’DRIFTIN by Jim Haswell. Inspired by Karl Schadlich’s work, ‘Rockport, Mass’.
When we look at a piece of art each person has a different interpretation of what they see. That is the beauty of art and the challenge to our playwrights. Each year we take three works of art and ask writers to write a play as they are moved or inspired by the artwork. We blind-read the submissions, select the best and produce them. The art is exhibited, we perform the play and ask the audience for feedback. It is our annual mixed media event that draws inquisitive art and theatre lovers to KNOW.
This festival is an important part of our season. It is about inspiration and interpretation. We challenge playwrights to look at our three chosen pieces of art and see where inspiration takes them and each of the journeys are unique. After blind reading the plays we whittle those 60+ submissions down to six plays, two for each artwork. And this year we are happy to bring back the element of music to the collaboration, coordinated by Strange Fangs Song Factory (www.strangefangs.com).
Then it is you, our audience, whose turn it is to come and be a part of the process. For a playwright there is nothing better than seeing their work fleshed out onstage. And in seeing it also receive feedback about their work. Each night of the weekend we choose one artwork, perform the two plays, and hear the music inspired by it. Afterwards there is a talkback that includes the playwright, the composer, the director and actors. We also like to include our artists if possible. This makes for an exciting night of theater.
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
It is that time of year again. We have chosen our artwork for the 2018 Playwrights and Artists Festival. We, as always, extend first look to those who have submitted to our festival in years previous.
New to this year’s festival we are offering three prizes.
$300 for Best of Festival.
$200 for Artistic Merit.
$100 for Audience Favorite
The artwork will follow a refresher on the rules.
- The play must be inspired by one of the works of art below.
- The play must be written between the dates June 19 and August 8, 2018.
- The play length needs to be between 15 – 20 minutes
- Cast size maximum, 5 characters. Set should be implied.
- Plays submitted MUST be a complete play and must include a beginning, middle and an end and contain a conflict. Our judges will be adhering to strict parameters during the adjudication process.
- Playwrights may only submit one play for the festival.
- The playwright would need to attend at least one of the two weekend performances (which take place in November). In person is preferred but we have in the past skyped with playwrights. As our festival is starting to reach a greater number people in wider locations we feel that we must take this into consideration. We always hope our playwrights can attend in person and feel the energy and excitement of having their work performed onstage for the first time but we understand that sometimes this is not logistically possible.
- Plays must be submitted by midnight of August 8, 2018. This submission must include 2 copies of your play, one “blind” version without name but including which artwork you were inspired by and one with a full title page. They must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no exceptions to these rules. We love the idea of fresh work based on the inspiration of our chosen art. We choose our artworks carefully. We love to see where it takes our playwrights. Each piece of art has infinite possibilities of inspiration. We wish all good luck writing and can’t wait to see the results.