2021 Playwrights and Artists Festival
When we look at a piece of art, each person has a different interpretation. That is the beauty of art and the challenge to our playwrights.
Each year, we offer three works of art and ask writers for plays as they are moved or inspired by the artwork. We blind-read the submissions, select two for each artwork and produce them. The art is exhibited, we perform the play and ask the audience for feedback. Musical pieces inspired by the artwork are also shared.
Our audiences then become part of the process. After each performance, there is a talk back that includes the playwright, the composer, the director and actors. We also like to include our artists, if possible. This mixed-media event draws inquisitive art and theatre lovers to KNOW, and it makes for an exciting night of theater.
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
We have chosen our artwork for the 2021 Playwrights & Artists Festival:
- Hannah Goldberg – “Eat More Chikin”
- Mary Rose – “Stairway to Heaven”
- Judy Irwin-Salton – “Family Picnic”
There will be prizes for these categories:
- $300 for Best of Festival
- $200 for Artistic Merit
- $100 for Audience Favorite
- The play must be inspired by one of the works of art.
- The play must be written between June 10 and Aug. 15, 2021.
- The play length needs to be 15 to 20 minutes
- Cast size maximum is five characters. Set should be implied.
- Plays submitted MUST be a complete play and must include a beginning, middle and an end, and they MUST contain a conflict. Our judges will be adhering to strict parameters during the adjudication process.
- Playwrights may submit only one play for the festival.
- The playwright will need to attend at least one of the two weekend performances in November. In person is preferred, but we have in the past connected with playwrights via Skype. We always hope our playwrights can attend in person and feel the energy and excitement of having their work performed onstage for the first time, but we understand that sometimes this is not logistically possible.
- Plays must be submitted by midnight on Aug. 15, 2021. This submission must include two versions of your play in either Microsoft Word or PDF: one “blind” version without your name but including which artwork inspired you, and one version with a full title page. They must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the title of your work in the file name and whether it is the blind or named copy. This makes it easier on the person coordinating the files and sending them on to the adjudicators. We receive many plays and do not want anything to get lost in the mix.
There are no exceptions to these rules. We love the idea of fresh work based on the inspiration of our chosen art. We choose our artworks carefully. We love to see where it takes our playwrights. Each piece of art has infinite possibilities of inspiration. We wish all good luck writing and cannot wait to see the results.
Left: Eat More Chikin – Hannah Goldberg, Center: Stairway to Heaven – Mary Rose, Right: Family Picnic – Judy Irwin-Salton